I hope you are having a good week, especially since it’s summer!!!! For some, summer means no school, summer vacation, catching up on life or reading a good book. Today I’ll be reviewing a book that I just finished reading, which you can buy here The Four Agreements.
Lately, I have been reading, watching and listening to a lot of faith based, personal wellness, and personal development books and documentaries. So when a friend recommended that this be the next book I read, I obliged out of pure inquisitiveness.
DISCLAIMER: The author uses non traditional “Christian” phrases to create a historical foundation for the agreements described in the book. However, he does a fantastic job of contextualizing the agreements for modern day implementation.
Did I like it?: Fah Sho and I’d read it again because the book outlines practical ways to re-frame thoughts (i.e. agreements). We make agreements with ourselves and others on a daily basis and these agreements stick with us for years until we change the agreement and rewrite our story. When we rewrite the story, we naturally change the way we view the world and how we interact with it. The Four Agreements has the vibe of The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
So what are the “agreements”?
- Speak with integrity
- Say only what you mean
- Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others
- Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love
- NOTHING others do is because of you
- What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream
- When you are immune to the opinions of others, you wont be the victim of needless suffering
- Find courage to ask questions and to express what you really want
- Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama
- This one agreement will completely transform your life
- Your best is going to change from moment to moment
- Your best will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick
- Under any circumstance, do your best and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret
If you are looking for a vacation book or just need a gentle boost for life, I highly recommend that you check out The Four Agreements.
Peace, love and blessings friends!